Born in Miyagi, Japan, in 1945. He lives and works in Paris. Sato Satoru studies Fine Arts in Tokio. He settles in Paris in the early 70’s and continues his education at l’École Nationale Superieure des Beaux-Arts. He joins the Abstraction-Création group, founded by Michel Seuphor. In 1975 he becomes a member of the Madi group. From 1991 to 2007 he teaches at the University of Paris VIII. In 2007, the museum Sato Satoru opens in Tome, Japan.
Sato Satoru’s first canvases belong to what is called “geometric constructive art”, later he embosses his work with small sticks, with wooden structures. It is then when he develops the concept of verticality to talk about his experiments. In the 90’s he puts paint aside and devotes himself mostly to sculpture. He works mostly with granite, he brings out the various hues of the mineral (pink, blue or gray) and marble. To his stone sculptures he sometimes adds metallic elements (aluminum, iron), paint and stained glass. He receives commissions from many countries and reflects upon the integration of art in its surroundings, upon landscape architecture (Natsukawa, Art Bridge over the Natsu river, 1995; Nakada Park, 2001, in which he uses 80 tons of pink and blue Bretagne granite; Rio de Piedra Park, Puerto Rico, 2006). He also creates stained glass windows, mosaics and mural paintings.